the yamas and niyamas
i first learned about the yamas and niyamas, the ethical code of yoga, while practicing with my fave hippy teacher of the past couple of years.
the yamas are self-regulating behaviors involving our interactions with other people and the world at large.
1) Ahimsa: nonviolence
2) Satya: truthfulness
3) Asteya: non-stealing
4) Brahmacharya: non-excess (often interpreted as celibacy
5) Aparigraha: non-possessiveness, non-greed
The five niyamas, personal practices that relate to our inner world. They are:
1) Saucha: purity
2) Santosha: contentment
3) Tapas: self-discipline, training your senses
4) Svadhyaya: self-study, inner exploration
5) Ishvara Pranidhana: surrender (to God)
I recently picked up this book to delve a bit deeper. It is readable AND relatable. Excerpt:
“To be a bold person of truth is to constantly look for what we are not seeing and to expose ourselves to different views than the ones we hold sacred. What are you not seeing because you are seeing what you are seeing?”